From the charming downtown streets to the remote rain forest roads, there is a lot of ground to cover on St. Croix. To get the most out of your time in our gorgeous island paradise, you’ll need a set of wheels. Any local will tell you, the best choice for a St. Croix car rental is Centerline. We provide the right vehicle for you to get around the island—beachside to rain forest, Christiansted to Frederiksted.
Once you pick up your vehicle, there are dozens of fun things to do! Here are our top five recommendations for fun things to do in your Centerline car rental:
1. Find your Favorite Beach. St. Croix is widely considered to have the best beaches in the Caribbean. It’s a never-ending debate: which beach is best? There are so many! Is it The Palms at Pelican Cove near Christiansted, or Rainbow Beach close to Frederiksted? Maybe the best is Cane Bay. Or maybe it’s Turtle Beach on Buck Island (a quick boat ride will get you there.) Only you can decide.
2. Look for Leatherbacks at Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge. This pristine beach on the southernmost tip of the island is a nesting spot for leatherback turtles, and a gorgeous spot for a day at the beach. Check on its opening hours before you go: to protect the pristine nesting area, the beach is only open during limited weekend times. A special spot like this is only accessible if you have a rental car.
3. Run to the Rainforest! St. Croix has its very own rainforest, which is accessible by road if you have a good 4-wheel drive vehicle. Rent a Jeep and wander into the dense, green jungle. You may bump down a dirt road and find Ridge to Reef, St. Croix’s organic farm. You may discover the perfect spot for a streamside picnic. You might simply get lost in the green canopy, and enjoy a lush green, shady break from the beach.
4. Go fort-hopping. Fort Frederik in Frederiksted was the site of a slave uprising in 1848, and its exhibits paint a picture of this huge rally for emancipation. The fort also has information on the old slave ship route. It’s an eye-opening visit in a stunning location. Fort Christiansvaern in Christiansted is best seen on a driving tour—no problem, in your St. Croix rental car. You’ll want to check out the fort’s exterior, and also visit the Danish Custom House, the Danish West India & Guinea Company Warehouse, and the Scale House. St. Croix resident Alexander Hamilton worked in the warehouse as a young man.
5. Cruise to the Rum Factories at both of St. Croix Rum Distilleries. Designate a driver, then head to the Cruzan Rum factory for an education on rum distilling and brewing (and tasting!). Then take a tour through the Captain Morgan visitor’s center with a video and finish the tour with a rum drink. You’ll spend a genteel afternoon enjoying the island’s finest rums, and get a glimpse—and a sweet, delicious whiff—of how St. Croix’s signature drink is made. Remember, you can take some home duty free too.