We all like playing tourist – even those of us who reside on St. Croix. It’s soul-soothing to dedicate a little time to experiencing new sites, smells and sensory delights. No where offers such a feast for your senses as the laid-back, eclectic Northshore of St. Croix, USVI.
- Off the beaten path – So much beauty to absorb just moments from Christiansted. As you make your way from Christiansted on the Northside Road, turn right at a collection of small NorthShore attraction signs. As you wind along this two-lane road you will find yourself nearing one of St. Croix most notable historic and ecologically diverse sites: Salt River Bay.
- Dive & Kayak – Make a stop at the Salt River Bay Marina where you can grab a snack at Pirate’s Tavern and sign up to dive or kayak in Salt River Bay with Anchor Dive Center . Laurie and the always friendly folks there can show you Salt River Bay like no one else. Whether you want to dive the stunning Salt River walls or kayak through the bioluminescent bay.
- Salt River Bay National Historic Park & Ecological Preserve – the National Park Service manages the historic sites dotted around the bay. Limited hours apply in the Summer but you can always schedule an appointment to learn about the most important representation of indigenous life in the USVI.
- Northshore Road – One of the most breathtaking driving vistas on St. Croix. As you leave Salt River and head west on the Northshore Road, there are a couple of nice stopping points to capture photos of the dramatic, rocky coastline. Those of you who remember the movie Shawshank Redemption might recognize the coastal road as the one from the scenes of Morgan Freeman driving through Mexico. There are faster ways to get to the Northshore village, but take the long way because life is short and the drive is beautiful.
- Rowdy Joe’s – Homemade Ice Cream. Need we say more? Make sure you drop by this classy little restaurant for lunch or a quick snack.
- Cane Bay Beach – Going to St. Croix and not experiencing deep water diving is like not visiting the Eiffel Tower in Paris – it’s just not right! Cane Bay Beach is a defining landmark of St. Croix’s Northshore. Dive the famous Cane Bay Wall, Horseback ride into the sea on one of Steven O’Dea’s free-ranging herd, or just snorkle the reef. The choice is yours, but do chose to stop by Cane Bay.
- Eat @ canebay – After a romp across the street at Cane Bay Beach, throw on a cover-up and head across the lane to one of the best restaurants on St. Croix. The open-air restaurant was started by two of St. Croix’s culinary elite – want a burger with fois gras, no worries mon. The menu food shots apps to a variety of seafood, steak, salad and sandwich offerings. Special cocktail drinks and Belgian beers also flow freely, so be sure to ask what’s special and sample something new – there is nothing bad at eat @ canebay. Check their schedule online to see if their next reggae event coincides with your Northshore excursion.
- Estate Belvedere – This is actually a former sugar plantation that was converted into a 3-acre scenic villa that hosts weekly groups of guests as a vacation villa. If you are searching for a perfect wedding location or a place ofr a large getaway for family and friends, Estate Belvedere serves up barefoot elegance steeped in history. An intact, well maintained Sugarmill and the ruins of an original home dominate the estate’s lush grounds.
- Renaissance Carambola Beach Resort – “Looking good, Billy Ray!” “Feeling Good, Louis!” – Perhaps you remember those closing lines from the Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd movie Trading Places. Well, they were filmed right here in Davis Bay. Now it boasts an artfully-integrated Caribbean resort featuring diving, a nice swimming beach (go all the way to the westernmost end of the beach) and two restaurants featuring Continental cuisine. Drop by on a Friday night for their Pirate’s Buffet and see the Mocko Jumbies in action.
So spend a day or two on St. Croix’s Northshore. At the end of the excursion, your feet will be sandy, your camera card will be full and your vibes will be good. Ah, success!
Of course, we recommend you keep it local when selecting your vehicle for your Northshore excursion. Contact us at Centerline Car Rentals and choose from our diverse cars, minivans, trucks, and jeeps for rent and determine your pick up location. We’ll be there, guaranteed. So are you ready to start your road trip? Have a safe trip and remember, keep left.